Tuesday 22 July 2014

battles, memories, head and heart (3)

Part three.

So we meet again, and we walk and we talk about the people we loved and lost, but never about us. And we stand by the same lake we stood at a thousand times before all those years ago, neither of us talking. My hand finds yours the same way it always did. Your fingers encircle mine  like a long lost glove and for a moment i forget to breath..

I can't look at you, not yet. I watch the lake for a while. then i feel you squeeze my hand gently so i glance your way. A raised eye brow from you and a nod and a smile from me are all that are needed. Not words. We don't need words.

I turn back to the lake to watch the boats sail across it, as the sun warms my back and your presence warms my side. Another squeeze from your hand and your fingers pull away from mine. A lump forms in my throat but i swallow it down. I hear you say my name and turn to face you, but before i can speak both your arms are around me, and my face is hidden in your shoulder. I can feel your breath on my neck as i hold onto you for dear life and breath you in as if you were the last breath of air i was ever going to take.

It doesn't matter about the boats on the lake, or the dog walkers, or the families out for an afternoon stroll. the only thing that matters is you and i and this bubble that we are clinging onto like two limpets clinging onto a rock in the ocean, as the waves crash around us.
"stay with me." i hear you murmur into my neck.
I know that i am lost and for these few all too brief moments i don't want to be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment